Re: Water pump interchanges

To: bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Water pump interchanges
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 18:53:44 EST
In a message dated 1/18/2005 6:41:02 PM Eastern Standard Time,
bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk writes:

I have a  customer who's asked if I can obtain a water pump for his Series 3
Standard  Vanguard. To those of you who don't know this model, it uses the
familiar 4  cylinder wet liner engine with a 2088cc capacity.
I don't have a parts  list for this vehicle, but I can cross reference to the
Standard Atlas  Major which has the same pump listed under part number
501108. Does anyone  know specifically what is different between this pump
and the TR2-4  item,  501488? According to the illustration I have, the pump
body,  impeller, bearings and pulley are common, however the spindle and  the
internal seal are not.
I am inclined to suggest that the TR pump  will fit, however if anyone can
offer an opinion I would be grateful. I  don't have a TR pump here to compare
against,

========
Bill, from what I can see in my Vanguard III SPC, the problem of
compatibility might well lie in that spindle. The Vanguard uses a pulley with a
 mount
for a fan, while the TR motors had the fan on the crankshaft. If the  Vanguard
fan pulley isn't compatible with a TR water pump's spindle, there's  your
problem (I suspect).

--Andy  Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so  much of a jet, it's more your, er,
Triumph Herald engine with  wings.
-- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus  (22)

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6)  and Triumph Herald
Database at its new URL: _http://triumph-herald.us_
(http://triumph-herald.us/)