RE: Stromberg Carbs

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Stromberg Carbs
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 09:27:43 -0800
> I am getting oversized throttle shafts for my Stromberg carbs(early
> ones without the rubber seals).  How hard is it to ream the holes?
> What is the procedure?

There is a special piloted reamer, very expensive (I think Moss gets over $130
for it).  Mount a tap handle on it, lube the cutting edges a bit (WD40 will do
although cutting oil is better) and slide it through the carb body until the
cutting edges start to bite.  Turn it clockwise (looking at the squared end) to
cut (never turn it backwards) and keep sliding it farther through the carb as it
cuts.  Don't force it through, let the cutting edges clear the way.

I prefer Joe's suggestion of rebushing and using a standard size shaft, although
frankly I don't think you'll ever notice or measure the additional flow
resistance of a .010" oversize shaft in a 1.5" bore.

Randall