Re: 70 Spitfire Update.

To: <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: 70 Spitfire Update.
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 10:32:29 -0500
No need for a blow proof OD housing.  The unit is strong enough to have
been fitted behind American V8 engines in some rather heavy
applications.  You're not going to blow it with a mear-smear of a
Spitfire engine.

What will happen is it won't engage because of lack of oil pressure.
The unit works hydraulicly, and the hydraulic pump is driven by the
output shaft.  That's the rub.  If the driveshaft isn't turning, no oil
pressure is being built up, and no engagement happens.

If you wind it out in first gear, you may have enough rpm and pressure
to make it work.  But the pressure will most likely be low, and slipping
can result.  Slipping is not a good thing with clutches, and they do
wear and fail quickly as a result.

Which class was your Spitfire in at the TRF/VTR hillclimb btw?  I had
1st in my class right up until the end.  Beware the bomb this year!
This time I'll be running working shocks and real tires. :-)

>>> <TR250Driver@aol.com> 01/25/05 09:28AM >>>
Thanks Guys,
Looks like it would be a dumb idea to engage OD in first unless I
fitted a
Blow Proof OD Housing to keep the metal from blowing thru my Butt!
That was in
the back of my mind so I should have known better. Graham is correct
the D
type OD's don't engage quick enough anyway. Just need to practice that
Heel & Toe
double clutch routine to get it back into first.  Alternatively, I
could just
keep having Bob Palmer drive it for me.  He knows how to do that stuff
much
better than me. He was behind the wheel when the Spit came in first in
class at
TRF's VTR Autocross & Hill Climb.  That is when we noticed all the time
loss
off the line, hence fitment of the Tilton and 18 months on jack stands.
We are
going to try it in a few local events this spring so I am hopeful that
the
effort has been worth it.
Cheers,
Darrell

The information contained in this communication may be confidential, is
privileged.
If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this
communication, or any of its contents, is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this communication in error, please re-send this
communication to the sender and delete the original message and any copy of it
from your computer system. Thank you.
<<<<GWIASIG 0.07>>>>