Re: triumphs and variants with blowers (superchargers)

To: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>,
Subject: Re: triumphs and variants with blowers (superchargers)
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kradicke@wishboneclassics.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 15:07:14 -0500
Randall replied to Joe Curry:

> > The bottom end of most Triumph engines is so weak that
> > supercharging or turbocharging them is a recipe for
> > disaster.
>
> That shouldn't be true ... the forces on the bottom end go up
> much faster with higher revs than with forced induction.  Just
> keep the revs down and you can run plenty of boost.

I agree with Randall here.  The RPM range one chooses to use has much more
of an impact on bottom end life than deciding to use forced induction.
There is a reason that RPM is oft refered to as "Ruins People's Motors"  ...
the higher you go, the more quickly wear and damage will result.

That said, irregular combustion events like pre-ignition and detonation can
destroy engine components and wear out engine bearings if left unchecked.
Both pre-ignition and detonation are often encountered when switching to a
forced induction setup.  I suspect this is the reason many people believe
forced induction is the culprit, but in reality, these damaging
abnormalities are the result of poor tuning or not enough time spent working
the problems out.

Those readers more interested in this subject may wish to attend the TRF
Summer Party 2005 (yes, according to the latest TRF flyer they are intending
to have one!).  If the event happens I will be unveiling my supercharged
TR6... if the SP2005 does not happen, the first public showing will probably
be at Taste of Britian in Lancaster PA later that August.

Kai

--
Kai M. Radicke
Wishbone Classics