TR3A Body Queries

To: "Triumph TR3A" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR3A Body Queries
From: "Francis P. Gowash" <fpgowash@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 14:04:38 -0500
Hi all,

Have been lurking the list and it sure is a great source of info. I am
somewhat naive about my car as to what I really have here. I think that some
liberty was taken when restored although I have been unable to get the
history from the previous owner. I hope that the purists will not laugh too
much as I, anyway, think it is an OK car and am a little worried about
mingling with those that might think otherwise. Even so, I am open to all
comments and suggestions. Here are a couple of observations that I could use
feedback on:

1. I am told that The front of the car is a 1958 while the rear is from a
later year (1959). A nice rear bench seat  and the curved body shape where
the gas cap is seems to indicate a 1959+. I was also told that the trunk
hinges are an indication of a later year then 1958.

2. Above the dash, along and close to the windshield, are a small handful of
rather large diameter domed chrome bolts, or nuts, that I can't seem to see
any where in diagrams . The garage is pretty cool right now here in
Connecticut so I don't feel like looking behind the dash right now. Anyone
ever heard of these or might this be another manifestation of mating
different year body halves?

3. Last fall my wife and I attended a local LBC show that was fairly well
attended. I was asked to join the TR group
to show the car. The car was judged by the participants. Talking to a very
knowledgeable owner revealed, at least, the body situation. Don't really
know what I'm getting at here but I guess that I would be reluctant to do
that again as being compared to those perfectly restored cars made me
uncomfortable. My wife doesn't really understand why I should care. Perhaps
those that have seen it all could comment on their viewpoints.

4. I am desperately looking for a luggage rack as I need to transport a
wheelchair for my wife. I have been putting it in the rear but its kind of
clumsy. Holden in UK wants 190 pounds which seems astronomical to be and
that's without shipping! Anyone have any better ideas?

I guess that this getting a little long. Thanks much,
Fran
1958 TR3A TS32465L

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type application/ms-tnef which had a
name of winmail.dat]