Re: Spitfire half-shaft question

To: triumph list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Spitfire half-shaft question
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 21:24:26 -0500
On 30 Jan 2005 at 5:21, Jim wrote:

> I've noticed in the Spitbits and VB catalogs that there are
> different shafts for years '71-'72 and '73-'80.  Anyone know the
> difference in the two shafts?

Im 'writing from memory and admittedly from having read lots of specs
and history but not from personal experience.

For the 1500 (in 1973 in the North America at least) the lengthened
the halfshaft.  My memory sez it was by 1/2in, or put another way,
the rear track was widened by 1in.  Non-N.America got the 1500 in '75
but I'm not sure what they did with the halfshafts.  I would assume
that the whole world got the longer ones in '73 but wouldn't swear to
it.  The GT6 MkIII got the swing-axles and corresponding swing-spring
at the same time as a cost-cutting move, so I understand, so they
would have been the longer ones.  Don't know about the brakes.  So
you may have a legit GT6 back end after all.

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@pop.rcn.com