Rebirth

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rebirth
From: "Ronnie Babbitt" <rbtr3a@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 21:28:53 -0500
Here is some interesting info from Tim Suddard.

Mike Munson

I had the chance to have dinner with Tom Purvis, president of BMW a
couple of nights ago.

As some may know, he hails from Rover and is quite the British car
enthusiast. I mentioned that I race a TR3 and he admitted a special
fondness for that car. He quickly reminded me that BMW owns the rights
to the Triumph name and hinted that there had been some discussion about
bringing the Triumph name back from the dead. I suggested a retro TR3
looking car based on the BMW Z-4 with the 2.0 liter four cylinder BMW
uses in Europe, since the original TR3 had a 2.0 liter four cylinder.

Without putting to many words in his mouth he seemed genuinely
interested in this idea and wanted to talk about it further. I told him
a year from now, once the enormity of the new retro Mustangb_s success
was obvious, would be a good time to discuss this whole idea some more.

What do you guys think? Would you buy it? What should it cost? Should it
be called the TR1 since the name was never really used or the TR9? Tom
mentioned the enormity of setting up the MINI dealer network and
building a new brand image. What if BMW started a sort of BMC or British
Leyland division again and lumped Triumph in with MINI?

Let's get some dialog going on this and I will get back with Tom Purvis.
As it will be easier to get him to our message board, than to get him to
join FOT and a message board is easier to keep organized than a million
emails, I have started a thread on our message board:
http://www.grmotorsports.com/board/viewtopic.php?p=71447#71447

Please go here and post your ideas. if you participate in any other
Triumph boards, groups sites etc, please also see if you can get them to
post their ideas on this thread. I for one would love a new TR3 looking
car with BMW performance and build quality. This guy seemed genuinely
interested. Heck who knows, maybe we can change the automotive world
with our little club of Triumph wackos! Thanks.

Tim Suddard/Classic Motorsports magazine