TR3a Battery connections

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR3a Battery connections
From: "David Templeton" <davidt@opentext.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 15:25:30 -0500
Afternoon all,

ISTR, if from the battery and its connection to the body, is the bolt
attached to a captive nut or a regular nut?  Can this be accessible from
inside the tub in either case with everything in place?  The idea I am
working through is to attach a 4 gauge ground strap (the woven bare
kind) and run it between the tub and the gearbox cover and attach it to
the block/gearbox housing right at the starter.

Why am I doing this?  I recently had problems with the pickup and a bad
ground ending in the ground strap between the block and the chassis
being used for all of the ground connection and in turn it ended up
burning out (very high resistance).  I replaced the cables with 2 gauge
between the battery, the block, and the chassis.  Problem solved and
away we go.  This of course got me thinking about the times last year I
had issues starting the TR3a, it currently uses the standard method of
grounding, battery to tub, tub to engine block via strap across engine
mount ( a really good one ).  Randall mentions that later an extra wire
was in fact added to help the grounding.  I could easily add a wire to
the ground and run it down the firewall to the block I do want to hide
this as much as possible.

There is my logic and thoughts, any other ideas to achieve this are
greatly welcome.
Many thanks in advance
David Templeton
'59 Triumph TR3a