RE: TR3a Battery connections

To: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: TR3a Battery connections
From: "David Templeton" <davidt@opentext.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 19:00:37 -0500
> > ISTR, if from the battery and its connection to the body, is the
bolt
> > attached to a captive nut or a regular nut?
>
> I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be captive, otherwise it would take
two
> people to install the ground strap.

[David Templeton] That makes sense......as much as anything :-)
> >  Can this be accessible from
> > inside the tub in either case with everything in place?
>
> Probably OK without a heater, not sure how it would be with a heater.
>
> >  The idea I am
> > working through is to attach a 4 gauge ground strap (the woven bare
> > kind) and run it between the tub and the gearbox cover and attach it
> > the block/gearbox housing right at the starter.
>
> Not my choice of solutions, that seam is hard enough to keep sealed
anyway
> ... but it's your car !
>
> > There is my logic and thoughts, any other ideas to achieve this are
> > greatly welcome.
>
> The original system actually works well enough, provided all the
connections
> are clean (no paint) and dry.
[David Templeton] Ah you see there in lays the problem, the tub did get
repainted, primer, a thin veneer of filler.  This is where I think it is
not a 100% circuit and all of the amps are not getting to the starter.
It is a strong 1000ca battery and there should be more than enough
juice, when the starter was rebuilt it was bench tested it pulled
extremely strong.  I will try a small experiment then, I will hook up a
secondary wire from the +ve ground to the somewhere on the bell housing
by the starter.

> Just remember it's a long, slippery slope ... with a 5.0 Cobra motor
at the
> other end !
[David Templeton] Noted, :-) Too much American Hot Rod today......  As
for the 5.0 litre, that is for the next one.  Not this one (I know, very
famous last words )   :-D