Re: carpet matting - TR3A

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: carpet matting - TR3A
From: "Terry Smith" <terryrs@adelphia.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 20:19:34 -0500
 TR3A

>> I would
>> like to put a little padding under it to dampen the noise from the
>> engine & drive train that comes through the floor.
>
> Home Depot sells (or at least used to) a "water heater blanket" that
> consists of synthetic felt with a metal foil backing.  It works quite well
> at damping both noise and heat, IMO, and seems to hold up well.  ISTR
> paying
> about $25 for a roll that would probably do two cars.  It's frequently
> seen
> at auto swap meets, too.
>
> Randall
I wonder, is there a way to protect the underlayment from water leakage?  It
just seems that felt would more likely be ruined, whereas some kind of
sturdy foam could be squeezed and dried?

...Better, is there a way to seal the car so that in the kind of intense
thunderstorms we get caught in in NH, that the carpet wouldn't get wet?
(...Actually, the biggest reason I'm not going with wool carpet is the
certainty I'm going to have water in there eventually, and was leery of the
smell of wet wool.)

Terry Smith
TR3A  (Body off and sawn in half, with the front at the body shop actually
getting better!  Whoo Hoo!  ...Mechanicals mostly done.)  TS 58667
New Hampshire