Re: Racing wheels

To: 6pack <6pack@Autox.Team.Net>, Triumphs <Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Racing wheels
From: Raymond Hatfield <iron_horse819@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 05:33:53 -0800 (PST)
--- Billy and Ann Green <bgreen99@frontiernet.net> wrote:

> The winter 2005 issue of Moss' British Motoring article on Tire and Wheel
> plus
> sizing got me to thinking of bumping up to 16" rims on my TR6.
>
> What is the correct way to measure bolt patterns on wheels?  The article
> gives
> plenty of info on offset, etc, but doesn't address the bolt pattern issue.  I
> measure ~3.25" from holt to hole and 4.5" diagonally.  Is this a 108mm x 4
> pattern?  Does anyone supply a 16" minilite replica?
>
> You see where I'm going with this.  The recommended plus size tire is
> 205/60-16, and I'm thinking Ford Focus rims may be the same bolt pattern.  If
> I could get the correct offset, then voilet!
>  I would have ROUND wheels (as opposed to my original steel ovals) and low
> profile tires of the correct height.
>
> BTW, has anyone else found a 16" rim that works well on the TR6?
>
> And what about tire brands?  Anyone have experience with Kumho?
>
> Thanks
> Billy

Hi Billy,

TRF sells a 16" Panasport that will bolt right up (NFI).  Other than that you
will have to look into using some type of spacer or adapter to mount a larger
wheel to a TR, as most modern cars that the larger wheels are manufactured for
have a much different backspace/offset than the TR.

=====
Raymond L. Hatfield
'65 TR4A IRS, O/D, SAH Tuned "Chance"
'73 Stag 4.3L, Auto, A/C, etc "Molly"