Re: Drive shaft flange bolts

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Drive shaft flange bolts
From: AMfoto1@aol.com
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 02:30:04 EST
Hi Scott,

My concern would be that most socket  headed cap screws aren't very strong,
and this is a place where a strong bolt is pretty much mandatory. The socket of
socket headed cap screws itself is the problem. It removes too much metal
from the head of the bolt, except for specially enlarged heads or really large
sizes of bolts.

I use grade 8, 3/8" NF and just installed all-metal locking nuts, with
Locktite. That might seem like overkill, but when I removed the driveshaft on
my
project car a couple months ago I found 6 of the 8 bolts flopping around and
didn't even need a wrench to remove them. How convenient! But, I had visions of
the driveshaft coming loose at 60 mph. The nylok nuts had given way and worked
loose.

Yes, it's a close fit... but at least there are only 8 of em!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.

AMfoto1@aol.com
http://hometown.aol.com/amfoto1/amfoto1.htm