Re: 1958/9 TR3A Engine Bay Cleanup

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: 1958/9 TR3A Engine Bay Cleanup
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@razzolink.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 10:24:27 -0800
> Hope this makes sense!

It doesn't make sense to me but when I placed a Ford 302 in my series
Land Rover it didn't make sense to Land Rover purists either.

You might consider going to a Land Rover 2 speed motor.  It has the same
type of gearing & connection as the Triumph one does but is stronger and
two speeds, normal and frantic.  The mount for the motor is shorter than
the TR mount and it has the power to push the wire along a tighter
radius.  You could mount it behind the cubby box if you shorten the
cubby box.  The stock radius of the tubing coming off the motor should
be about right for what you are looking for.  What you would need is a
Lucas 2 speed wiper motor for a Land rover Defender, the Defender
mounting bracket and first section of tubing.  Conversely you can bend
your own tubing and flair it.  A Land Rover series III wiper switch is 2
speed plus push for windscreen washer and the knob looks like the TR3's
heater knob.  The heater harness for a series III 2 speed heater would
get you the correct molex connector.

Conversely you could save a lot of $$ & effort if you just hunt up a big
Healey that was converted to  Chevy 327 back in the late '60's.  Or you
might consider 302 Sunbeam Alpine conversion.  The Alpine conversion has
already been engineered and there might even be conversion kits
available to build a mock Tiger. I know there are MGB V8 kits out there.
And the engine bay of a Jensen Healey is big enough for the aluminum
Rover V8.

The 302 is a good engine.  It transformed the performance of my 5600
pound Land Rover.  The stock engine was optimistically rated at 70 hp.

What are you planning to do with the TR's front suspension to handle the
extra weight?  What are you going to use for a rear axle assembly,
gearbox and frame stiffening?

Just curious as to how you are engineering the conversion.

TeriAnn