TR3 V8 Engine Conversion

To: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@razzolink.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3 V8 Engine Conversion
From: "Wayne Brazinski" <wayne@brazinski.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 09:14:00 -0600
Hi TeriAnn!
Thanks for this detailed post.  I won't answer your question about the TR3 -
302 conversion entirely in text, but will refer you to a website via some
links that make the whole thing seem a lot less crazy.  I can also mention a
few folks on this very list who have helped me tremendously.  It turns out
that the 302 conversion idea is not as unusual as it seems :-)

1) The British V8 site itself - lots of MGB stuff, but look at the rest!!! -
http://britishv8.org/ - I need to join this group, but have not done it yet.
2) How to Stuff a V8 into a British Sports car -
http://britishv8.org/swaps/index.htm
3) Dan Masters, known as our well deserved wiring hero, is a devoted V8
guy - his poison the larger, more civilized, TR6 -
http://britishv8.org/swaps/TR6ford.HTM
4) Mike Donovan http://britishv8.org/swaps/tr3ford.htm is running a steel
head (351) 302 with a modified rack, automatic, and a stock rear end with
huge tires.  I've talked to him 3 times - super guy.  By the way - the shiny
plate in the engine bay is the stainless steel that you see on trucks
sometimes - and the sidepipes are from a truck as well.
5) Tom White, on the list has a TR3 with a very high power 289, modified
Pinto Rack, 4 or 5 speed manual, and 7 or 8 inch rear end.  Sorry I can't
remember the specifics.  We can always ask Tom.
6) Paul Willoughby has a smoking highly modified 3 with a 4 link Ford 9 inch
rear end etc. and automatic. He's using the British Auto Restorations Rack.
7) Julian out in California has a Beautiful 3 with Rover V8, modified Side
Curtains, and wires. Running the stock rear end.
8) Julian's friend has a Tr4 pushing 400 horsepower - I think it's a Chevy -
not sure. Apparently it is pretty brutal.

My car should end up as follows, subject to modification when wiser heads
prevail!!

- 1993 Ford 302, rebuilt with Aluminum Heads for weight reduction, Carb.  I
will be the only TR3 - 302 guy I know who took this step - the others are
running the stock steel heads and are reporting no problems.  Power output
unknown - maybe 300HP with CAM???
- Either existing or custom headers - not at that point yet.
- Borg Warner T5 manual transmission - Hydraulic throw-out bearing for
clutch
- Ford drive shaft, custom length
- Narrowed Ford 8 inch rear end, Posi, Drum brakes.
- British Auto Restorations Rack & Pinion - Already in the car
- Dan Masters Wiring harness - purchased needs installation
- Remote brake booster - improve pedal feel.
- Either stock front end to start with (Mike Donovan did this) or uprated
springs & shocks.  I need to check this.  Rear will stay as stock as
possible.
- Brakes, front, may stay stock or move to the Toyota/Willwood 4 piston
conversion.  Need to research
- Plan is for the frame to stay stock right now.
- Right now the engine will be coming quite far back so weight distribution
should be OK - especially considering the heavier rear end.  Tom White has
weighed his on all 4 wheels, but I can't find the post.
- Instruments may be Autometer Carbon - or Smiths "Cobra" type.  Not sure
yet.
- Exhaust is planned to run down the frame - not side pipes.

Hope this makes sense.  It seems like I'll be the only Midwest guy doing
this - the crazy guys are out West in CA :-)

Wayne