'do the tighten up' on the lower inner wishbone

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: 'do the tighten up' on the lower inner wishbone
From: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 08:36:35 -0500
Today I was rebuilding my lower inner wishbone nylon bushings on one side of
the TR3A.  Although one of the arms presented no problem and slid right on,
the other arm didn't want to 'do the tighten up'.  In fact, I had to use it's
nut and another steel washer to try and draw it up tight against the lower
fulcrum support.  However, the 7/16" threads stripped on one stud while using
only about 55 foot lbs. (as measured on the torque wrench I was using).
           While I rethreaded the stud (using 7/16" NF20 threads) I had to ask
myself why this happened at only 55 ft. lbs?  I don't even think I've
completely drawn that arm up tightly yet.  I hesitate to try it using those
same threads.  How else can this be accomplished?   Is tightness important
here?  I've read where it's important to put the weight on the front end
before finally tightening it.
Thanks,
Paul Dorsey
60 TR3A