Intro and Question

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Intro and Question
From: "Mark" <mini@nashvilletn.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 21:00:56 -0600
Guys and Gals

I am a new to this list having just "escaped" form the Healey list and still
a subscriber to the Spridget List.  I have had several pieces of British
history parked in my garage starting in 1962 with a Sprite, then a TR2,
another Sprite, a Midget and most recently a Healey 100.  As I have aged so
have my tastes and I am now considering a nice TR4A IRS with a HVDA Toyota 5
Speed.  The car is fully restored and beautifully built.  My goal is to have
a nice driver car with ROLL UP WINDOWS and a Top that might keep me dry.
The car I am looking at had an engine rebuild a couple of years ago and
probably has less than 3000 miles on it, the rebuild history is somewhat
unknown.  I am guessing that the block was decked and the head milled
increasing compression some.  I measure about 160-170 PSI compression dry.
The car has SU carbs, and stock electrics.  The problem is that it tends to
diesel more than I am used to seeing, even with 93 fuel.  I am aware of hot
spots in the cylinders, advanced timing, and high compression causing this
problem but I wonder if there is something else unique to the TR engine that
I am unaware of.  Secondly, if it is just higher than expected compression
are there any successful stories of using a thicker copper head gasket to
reduce the "squeeze" a bit?

If I buy this car, probably will because it's red, there will be lots more
questions.  Please be patient.

Thanks
Mark
Nashville