Re: Intro and Question

To: "Mark" <mini@nashvilletn.org>, Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Intro and Question
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 07:04:26 -0600
My experience has been that if everything else is normal and the
compression ratio hasn't been upped above 9.5, run-on is caused by the idle
screw being set to too fast an idle and the mixture too lean. Easily
adjustable on SU cars -- slow down the idle and then make it richer. On
Stromberg equipped cars it is more difficult to accomplish because of all
the extra gadgettry on the carbs, unless you have the early Stroms that
were adjustable, in which case, do the same thing.

At 09:00 PM 2/16/2005, you wrote:
>Guys and Gals
>
>I am a new to this list having just "escaped" form the Healey list and
>still a subscriber to the Spridget List.  I have had several pieces of
>British history parked in my garage starting in 1962 with a Sprite, then a
>TR2, another Sprite, a Midget and most recently a Healey 100.  As I have
>aged so have my tastes and I am now considering a nice TR4A IRS with a
>HVDA Toyota 5 Speed.  The car is fully restored and beautifully built.  My
>goal is to have a nice driver car with ROLL UP WINDOWS and a Top that
>might keep me dry. The car I am looking at had an engine rebuild a couple
>of years ago and probably has less than 3000 miles on it, the rebuild
>history is somewhat unknown.  I am guessing that the block was decked and
>the head milled increasing compression some.  I measure about 160-170 PSI
>compression dry. The car has SU carbs, and stock electrics.  The problem
>is that it tends to diesel more than I am used to seeing, even with 93
>fuel.  I am aware of hot spots in the cylinders, advanced timing, and high
>compression causing this problem but I wonder if there is something else
>unique to the TR engine that I am unaware of.  Secondly, if it is just
>higher than expected compression are there any successful stories of using
>a thicker copper head gasket to reduce the "squeeze" a bit?
>
>If I buy this car, probably will because it's red, there will be lots more
>questions.  Please be patient.
>
>Thanks
>Mark
>Nashville