RE: TR6 Bentley Manual Error?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 Bentley Manual Error?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 07:46:41 -0800
> So, since my vacuum retard isn't working, then the idle can only get as low
> as 1300, I assume.

You should be able to get it lower than that, although probably not all the way
down to 800.

> I haven't seen the 75 vacuum unit listed anywhere
> for sale

You might ask at your local full-line auto parts house (independent or NAPA,
etc.).  Mine was able to send my (NLA at the time) TR3 vacuum advance module out
to be rebuilt.  Cost almost as much as a new one, but what I got backed looked
and worked like new.

FWIW, something I just learned recently, not all NAPA stores are created equal.
The one closest to my work only carries (or can get) the Fel-Pro equivalent to a
Speedi-Sleeve, in just a dozen sizes or so.  When I went to the one in Gardena,
though, they had a book (labeled "NAPA") that listed the full Chicago Rawhide
line of Speedi-Sleeves and I was able to pick out one that fit my Stag's
harmonic balancer.  They had it for me the very next day, and the box did say
Chicago Rawhide on it.

> and I'm not
> even sure how to take it off the distributor. I looks like a press fit.

I've forgotten the trick offhand, but it does come off without being pressed
off.  ISTR it's located by a pin through the dizzy body.

> By the way, what is the "TVS"?

Thermal Vacuum Switch.  Some US-spec TR6 (72-75 according to the TRF catalog)
had a thermal switch in the upper radiator hose that sensed coolant temperature
and disabled the vacuum retard (thereby increasing idle rpm) when the coolant
got too hot.  I'm not certain, but this may have been required (or 'suggested')
by the same rules that required the retard in the first place.  It was certainly
a common feature of the time, for all US-spec cars.

Randall