Birthdays

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Birthdays
From: Doug Mathews <mathews@uga.edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 20:30:28 -0500
My first TR3 was a 58 I got in about 60.....a real rattling and already
worn out car.  I did go through the back road mountains of VA once and when
I got to flat land, you could smell the hot tires. Pays to be lucky and
stupid and young!  That lasted a year or so then I got a 62 VW with
sunroof. The old light gray color. But I yearned for another TR.  In 64 I
got a used TR3B with about 10,000 miles on it.  Spa white, OD, black
interior w/white piping, OD, wires. A sweet car. I remember traveling on
the interstates at 70mph and getting 400/m/tank. Fast for its day.  I was
hit by other cars at least 3 times..once by an Austin Healy 3000 while I
was at a red light.  Had to sell that one to pay for my first born. Well
worth it, but I still miss that car.

Got a 64 TR4 in 78 (still have it and in an interrupted state of redo) and
then a 63 TR3B in about 94 which is now undergoing a front
suspension/steering box redo.

At this point in 2005, I am 60 1/3!  Retired in 98 and stopped working in
2001 and since then I have been out gallivanting around the US.