TR Beginnings

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR Beginnings
From: BearTranserv@aol.com
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 09:56:31 EST
I guess I may as well chime in here.

I guess my love of cars was inherited from Dad, who perhaps didn't love  them
so much as make his living with them for nearly 60 years.  His old  stories
of wrecking out Cords and Caddys in the 20's and 30's for the scrap  metal, and
pasting together Model Ts and As until after WWII kept me enraptured  as a
child.

My first British car, a Riley 1.5 saw me through high school.  Soon  after
graduation, I traded up to a 65 MG MIdget to take to college.

Halfway through college, I got married and the wife and I started life
together with a 63 Saab station wagon and a 63 TR3.  My first  Triumph!  That
was
in 1970, and north Texas winters caused us to sell the  TR3 after a year or so.

It wasn't until about 1984, during my second marriage, that I bought the  TR4
I now have.

During my life, especially the 20 to 40 years, I traded cars every 6-9
months, and usually had a "project" car on the side.  This was partly due  to
my
love of cars, and partly due to their availability from my dad's wrecking
yard.

Now, a few years from retirement, I'm trying to make the 73 MG Midet look
like the 65, I took to college.  I'm working on the TR4, partly for me,  partly
for my grandson (13) and partly because my wife wants me to finish  it.  I
still long for the TR3 of my past, and the MG TF 1500 I never had,  oh, and the
XK120 I passed up for $50 because rebuilding the engine looked too  difficult.
I do have a couple of Morris Minors waiting in the wings, to  remind me of my
Dad's Minor pickup, and a Buegeye Sprite project to fullfill the  fantasy I
had when I bought the first MG Midget.  Did I mention I've always  loved MGAs
and would like to have one of those too?

Ah..so many memories, so many cars, so little time.

Robert  Houston
63 TR4
73 MG Midget

Texan in New Mexico

_This royal throne of  kings, this sceptred isle, This earth of majesty, this
seat of Mars, This other  Eden, demi-paradise, This fortress built by Nature
for herself Against infection  and the hand of war, This happy breed of men,
this little world, This precious  stone set in the silver sea, Which serves it
in the office of a wall Or as a  moat defensive to a house, Against the envy
of less happier lands,-- This  blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this
England._ (http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/25255.html) _ William
Shakespeare_
(http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/William_Shakespeare/)  (1564 - 1616)