RE: Newbie Questions

To: "'Mark'" <mini@nashvilletn.org>, Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Newbie Questions
From: John & Patricia Donnelly <pdonnel1@san.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 19:07:22 -0800
On Monday, February 21, 2005 4:38 PM, Mark [SMTP:mini@nashvilletn.org] wrote:
> Well a TR4A followed me home Saturday.  It needs a few attentions so I
> thought I would query the list.

Does your wife know? I suggest you beg and plead for forgiveness, then tell her
it
can stay outside, and eat from table scraps.

> Oil Filters, Does anybody know the part number for the filter used with the
> Moss Spin-Off filter adapter?  The one on the car is painted and I can't see
> the number.

NAPA has a Gold 1516, made by Wix, one of the best.

> Spark Plugs, What is the choice these days, since original part numbers are
> long gone?

You can still get the Champion L87Y plugs, but suggest NGK BP6HS. Take a good
look at the plugs already in there to see how the carbs are running. Run for
about 1000 miles without ANY changes before decifering them. You may need a
hotter plug.

>Mild Cam, headers, pair of HS6's, lots of compression.

As long as the compression is consistent cylinder to cylinder, then great!.

> It still does diesel a little but I made it one flat richer and it helped
> quite a lot.

Dieseling can be caused by a few reasons. Mixture too rich and timing are the
first reasons that come to mind. Make sure these are spot on before going
further. Air leaks, timing chain tightness, head config, as well as the cam
itself are a few of the other common reasons for dieseling. I'll bet the list
could add 20 other causes.

> By the way I turned 60 in December, still feel like 25, that's BS!

I hope this doesn't expand the Birthday thread!

Regards,
John - '67 TR4A