Re: TR4 Radio mounting

To: Mark Vaden <markvaden@gmail.com>, Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR4 Radio mounting
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 09:45:08 -0700
Mark Vaden wrote:

>I was wondering how the original radios were installed in a TR4. I
>understand that they were installed in the bracket between the dash
>and the piece that straddles the gearbox, but I was wonder ing there
>were any other brackets used for support along the sides of the radio?
>Also was the side of the radio left exposed or was it encased in
>something else? I am asking because I am installing a new radio in my
>TR4. I had a machine shop modify the bracket so I could mount a cd
>player stereo, but as of now I have nothing along the sides of the
>radio? What have other people done?

I just pulled the center "console" to get my gearbox out so it's fresh
in mind. My car is an early TR4 with a dealer-installed radio. The early
radio bracket is the ONLY thing holding the radio. My bracket has three
small holes in it, and the radio slides through the back, a plate and
nuts thread on from the front, then the faceplate screws on from the
front. That's plenty to hold the old radio in. There's nothing else to
enclose the radio on the sides. They don't make 'em like that anymore. :)

If I ever get around to installing a newer radio/CD/mp3 player, I'll
probably tuck it in the boot and use a remote. I'm planning to use the
bracket for extra switches for auxiliary lights and a normal horn/air
horn toggle. Wonder what I'd have to do to use an iPod?

--
Steven Newell
Littleton, CO