RE: current drain in alternator with engine off

To: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: current drain in alternator with engine off
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 17:17:52 -0800
> When I pull the plug on the alternator (engine off, of course), then the
> resistance goes to infinity.  It appears that the sense circuit
> has a small
> current drain (about 3 milliamps).

It would help if we knew what model of alternator you had ... but certainly
some of them work that way.

One other thing to consider, what polarity was your ohmmeter applying ?
What happens if you measure the other way ?

> IS this normal?

Certainly some work this way.  3ma isn't considered enough to worry about.

>  If not, then what is wrong?

Hard to say without knowing more, could be conductive dirt around a
connection or a bad regulator.

Randall