Side curtains, rebuild before fit?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Side curtains, rebuild before fit?
From: "Terry Smith" <terryrs@adelphia.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 19:04:07 -0500
Oh, man, here I am again.  Sorry folks about yet one more side curtain
question.

TRF is having a sale on top, boot cover, and side curtain rebuild.  I need all
three (though frankly I'd probably do without the boot cover without the
sale).

Question:  TRF advises fitting the side curtain before sending it in for
rebuild, to make sure it fits.  On the other hand, Fred Perry, an old TR3 hand
and Vermont neighbor, insists that you can bend them to fit after a rebuild.
He cites that Moss sells complete side frames ready to install, and these do
not require fitting prior to rebuild.  Frankly, that sounds like a good point.

TRF's response to the question is, they can't guarantee a recover job that's
ripped because of bending to fit.  Frankly, that also sounds like a good
point.

I don't know if it makes any difference, but I'm drilling 3/4th inch holes in
the wood frames of the doors, so I can glue in 3/4" dowels in the localized
places where the wood has deteriorated.  Meaning, I can reposition the
sideframe fasteners on the door to some small extent.

Can I ship the side curtains for rebuild, even though the body won't be back
on the car until next year?

Thank you all again.

Terry Smith  '59 TR3A  TS 58667
New Hampshire