RE: Stromberg probs

To: SOThornton@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Stromberg probs
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 10:44:30 -0800
>  He had installed an
> electric fuel pump which was not up to the task.

That statement seems suspicious ... the most common problem when installing
an electric fuel pump is too much pressure, not too little.  It may have
been clogged with crud from the tank, or there may be a restriction in the
lines somewhere.  I've even seen cases where FOD in the tank occasionally
gets sucked up against the intake, restricting it only sometimes.  But I
will say that doesn't sound like your problem.

> >Have you checked the fuel pressure ?  (Temporarily tee a vacuum
> test gauge
> >into the fuel line)
> >

> No I haven't.  I will do this too.

Ideally, check it under operating conditions.  Use a fairly long hose
between the gauge and the tee, then lead it out from under the hood/bonnet
and prop it under a wiper arm, so you can see it while driving.

> >Is the engine warming up properly ?  (cold engines require choke)
> I wondered about this too.

What does the temp gauge do ?

> Even though the mechanic rebuilt the carbs.  Keeping fluid in the front
> one requires daily attention.

There is an O-ring inside the piston that needs to be replaced.  It's
generally not included in the overhaul kits nor mentioned in the manuals.
There's a good article about this on the ISOA web site at
http://snic-braaapp.org/itech.htm
(Look for "Needle point" near the bottom)

If the brass adjuster is ruined (many of them are), I believe TRF has new
ones for sale.

HTH
Randall