Re: grease seal replacement?

To: Paul Dorsey <dorpaul@negia.net>,
Subject: Re: grease seal replacement?
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2005 08:35:53 -0500
Hi Paul,

No -- it's as Randall says -- the trunion screws (turns) onto the vertical
link. The vertical link
is male threaded at the bottom where it fits into the trunion -- like a giant
bolt. The trunion has
internal female threads. The trunion is turned off (unscrewed) from the
vertical link.

You must remove the spring pan arms (the lower arms). Then you must remove the
small vertical bolt
on the engine side of the trunion that holds the steering stop thingy. This is
in the back of the
trunion (engine side). Number 97 in this picture:
http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=29136

Number 97 must be removed in order to unscrew the trunion from the vertical
link (Number 32).

Really Randall is correct -- you need a manual. You can also probably see this
in the TRF catalogs
or Moss Catalogs.

Maybe you want to think about rebuilding the entire front suspension at this
point. On my TR250, the
trunion seal was in good shape while the rest of the rubber bushings were shot.
Maybe it's different
on a TR3.

Don Malling