Re: Convertible top installation

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Convertible top installation
From: Steven <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2005 14:05:01 -0700
Greg Gelhar wrote:

>I have been reading the instructions to replace the convertible top on my
>TR6. There are several references to marking the black top with a white
>chinagraph pencil.  A catalog description says they are for temporary
>marking on glass, plastic, film, and rubber.  So far I have only been able
>to source these pencils by the dozen. I doubt I will use very little of one
>pencil. What have you used to mark the black vinyl?  I suppose I could buy
>a dozen pencils and offer the extras to you  listers. Is there any interest
>in that?

In art school I used "china pencils" on a few projects, perhaps they
were just grease pencils by another name. Home Depot carries grease
pencils, and many art supply stores and some office supply stores will
carry "china pencils" in a variety of colors. But anything temporary
should do. You could use painter's masking tape cut in the general shape
of an arrow.

FWIW my TR4 top came pre-marked with a little white line at the center.
It didn't wash off with my gentle effort, but perhaps I'll get concours
points for having the "correct" white mark? :)

Steven Newell
'62 TR4