Re: trunnion seal a.k.a.grease seal replacement

To: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: trunnion seal a.k.a.grease seal replacement
From: "Jerry C Shaw" <slowtoaccept@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 18:03:50 -0500
Bentley for the TR6 says the trunnions have different handed threads: Left
hand vertical link, left handed thread etc. Suspect it's the same for TR3.
As recommended, buy /find the manual

Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 09:20:39 -0500
From: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Subject: trunnion seal et al

Yep, Randall, your mental immage and me went amiss!  And I have just earned
my
rookie 'merit badge'!  After trying to seperate the trunnion and vertical
link
by hitting the screwdriver with a sledge hammer (not having read your
comments), a light went off and saw the stop-bolt on the back of the
trunnion!
Piece of cake from there.

And my spring compressor? -a rented combination of another internal and
external spring compressor.  Learning the hard way comes natural!

Somebody else suggested I get a manual.  But I already have three.  I just
can't find them!  So here's my next question for the list:
    Is the trunnion grease seal suppose to face up (like it would cup water
or
grease) or does it face down (and lip over the brass trunnion?).  Do people
feel like killing me?

Patience is a virtue,
Paul Dorsey
60 TR3A