RE: TR front axle dust cap removal

To: "'Randall'" <tr3driver@comcast.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR front axle dust cap removal
From: "Michael Marr" <mmarr@nexant.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 14:12:20 -0600
> in this method.  Next time I find a recalcitrant dust cap,
> I'm going to try
> squirting some lighter fluid through the screw hole and lighting it !
> Should work just like those tennis ball cannons we made in college ...
>
> Randall

This reminds me of the method my buddy, Bart, uses for seating the bead of
the 10" wide tires on his late model stock car.  The rims have a second
"safety" rim inside the regular rim, and it is hard to get new tires to seat
correctly just by inflating them.  Seating the first side is easy - you just
apply force to the bead and it pops into place.  But new slicks are molded
in such a way that the bead on the second side will not stay in contact with
the rim, so he squirts starter fluid inside the tire, stands well back, and
tosses a match at the rim.  The resulting mild explosion inside the confines
of the tire pops the second bead over the safety rim perfectly.  He does
this with the valve removed to provide a relief for the gas pressure, after
the tire is seated.

I must make the disclaimer that Bart is a trained professional operating on
a closed circuit and that you should not try this at home!

Michael J. Marr, P.E.
Naperville, IL
1960TR3A