RE: TR front axle dust cap removal

To: "Don Malling" <dmallin@attglobal.net>, "6-Pack"
Subject: RE: TR front axle dust cap removal
From: "Mark Hooper" <mhooper@digiscreen.ca>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 15:06:44 -0500
Don:

You're using the least joyful method of dust cap removal. For more fun you
should consider the Red Green method. Go down to the local fireworks
manufacturer and pick up a case of "Burning Schoolhouse" fireworks. Discard the
schoolhouse casing and scrape out all the black powder from the tube inside.
4-5 schoolhouses should give you a nice little pile of powder teh size of a
golf ball. Drill out the dust cap hole to 3/16" and use a paper twist funnel to
pipe in the powder until the bearing cavity is nice and full. Insert the fuse
from one of the fireworks. Light and step back. In fact step back outside the
garage, close the door and stick your fingers in your ears as this part can be
a little loud. After your hearing has returned (if you forgot the fingers) and
the cap has stopped richocheting from the garage walls (15-20 times) you should
have a nicely cleaned out bearing space and the old grease will have been
completely vapourised.

On second thought, I think your approach might be best. ;^)

Cheers,

Mark