RE: TR front axle dust cap removal

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR front axle dust cap removal
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 12:44:07 -0800
> The hammer and screw driver works well but the replacement dust
> caps are kind'a cheesy compared to
> the originals. I plan to weld a nut on the inside of the
> replacement cap, but it sure seems there
> should be some non-destructive way to remove a dust cap.

In a pinch, I've used channel-lock pliers to grip the sides of the dome, and
been able to reuse the mangled cap afterwards.  But IMO the best option is
to fill the hole with a bolt and nut, with enough sticking out beyond the
nut (into the hub cap) to grab with a slide hammer or vice grips.

> The guy that designed a dust cap w/o a pry off lip, lost his job.

IMO, it's not his fault.  It's the people who make replacement dust caps out
of roofing tin !  The original design actually worked well, with the
original dust caps.  Then Leyland took over and things went south rapidly
from there.

Randall