Re: TR3 Spotted crashing... Discovery Channel

To: AMfoto1@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3 Spotted crashing... Discovery Channel
From: "John A. Wise" <wise@erau.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 08:09:22 -0700
>One very short but distressing clip showed a TR3 being run through a fence
>that was intended to prevent cars from crossing divided highway medians and
>resulting head on accidents. The poor TR lost it's windshield and
>the crash test
>dummy his noggin ("head off" accident?), which nixed the use of the
>fence since
>it was determined to be pretty certain death to occupants of convertibles. I
>just wish they had used a Corvair or Fiat convertible instead of a TR.

Hmmmmm, that is exactly the type of barrier that the AZ DOT has
placed on the 101 beltway around PHX in my part of town.  I am sure
the decision was based on cost (this is a VERY conservative state).
And besides the test you describe probably took place more than 10
years ago & to a young engineer that was ancient history.

Back in my days as a professor, it always boggled my mind when grad
students thought (reinforced by some dim-witted faculty) that work
done over 5 years ago was out-of-date & should be ignored.  My retort
was "Have the laws of physics changed or has evolution moved to warp
speed, while I slept last night?"

Sorry for the ramble, but I do feel a little better now!

John

John A. Wise, Ph.D., CPE

5483 W Potter Dr
Glendale, AZ 85308