RE: OD Switch Location

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: OD Switch Location
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 09:18:22 -0800
> The wires are currently just zip tied to the shaft, on the outside, down into
> the rubber shifter boot.

Thanks, Alan, I was just curious.  In my youth, I ran a TR3A for several years
with a TR4 shifter and the whole OD switch and wires just tie-wrapped to the
shift lever.  Used a push-pull switch arranged so I could move it easily with my
2nd & 3rd fingers while gripping the knob with the palm of my hand; which made
it really easy to do the 2OD-3direct shift.  With the stock TR3 switch location,
I find I sometimes have to stop and think about the motions to get them right
... having it all on the same hand made it easier, IMO.

> (I didn't know the  TR3 shift lever was hollow!
> Maybe I should try to find one.)

The TR3 shifter is straight, not bent like the TR4, so may come uncomfortably
close or even hit the dash.  (On the TR3, first gear is actually under the dash
!)  Takes a different knob too, and a special locknut.

Not sure how the Stag OD shifter compares to the TR4, but it is curved and quite
a bit longer than the TR3 shifter.  Also takes a special knob, nuts, etc.  It's
not drilled through the pivot like the earlier shifters, so may also require
some modifications to the shift cover.  I think you can just tap the earlier
covers for the later style pivots, but I'm not sure of that.

Randall