RE: amperage doubts

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: amperage doubts
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 15:17:49 -0800
>     I was told by the seller of this Ebay item that it will
> charge 50-65 amps?
> A listee wrote, "only 34 amps".  Who's right?

Hard to say for certain, as I don't have a list of Lester numbers and what
they mean.  However I believe the eBay ad is at least somewhat mistaken ...
if it was a genuine Lucas alternator, it would say so on the rear housing.

I'm _guessing_ that it's the Bosch alternator that physically replaces the
Lucas, and if so, it will indeed do closer to 60-65 amps.   It's also
possible the advertised alternator could be a modified Lucas unit ... Lestek
is well known for their "high output" alternator rebuilds (although they do
more 'standard' rebuilds).

But, even so, I would not suggest it _except_ if you have a car it will fit
without modification and are unwilling (or unable) to make modifications.
The output terminals are marginal IMO even for the smaller Lucas output, and
are apt to give more trouble with more output current.  Personally, I'd go
for an alternator with a bolted output connection (like any American or
Japanese unit).  I've seen more than one local club member with an obviously
overheated plug on their original TR alternators.  (Even happened to me,
although my Stag's original alternator isn't the same as the ones we're
discussing here.  Burnt up a control relay, too, and the expensive
replacements don't look the same.)  And if the connector overheats, it will
likely take the alternator with it.

>     It's suppose to fit the following cars.  Again, the listee said,
> 'doubtful'.  Who's right?
>     <(1975-72) Austin Marina 1.8L
>     (1972) Mercury Capri 1.6L
>     (1974-72) MG MGB 1.8L
>     (1979-72) MG Midget 1.3L, 1.5L
>     (1980-73) Triumph Spitfire 1.5L
>     (1972-71) Triumph TR6 2.5L
>     (1981-78) Triumph TR8 3.5L
>     Ford Tractor Equipment
>     Replaces:
>     Lucas 23717, 23748, 23845

I don't have the information handy (if at all), but IMO it's at least
possible.  I believe all of the 15-18ACR Lucas alternators will physically
interchange, and all those cars might have had 15-18 ACRs.  Stock for a 71
TR6 (I do happen to have the 71 Lucas Triumph applications catalog handy)
would be either a 15ACR (model 23634 or 23636) rated at 28 amps or a 17ACR
(model 23635 or 23642) rated at 36 amps.  The 71 Spit also had a 15ACR.
According to TRF's website, the 15ACR was also used on TR250.  It also lists
the 18ACR (43 amp) for TR6 and MGB.

What I don't know is if the 20ACR (66 amps) used on the TR7 with A/C will
physically interchange with the other ACR models.  If it does, that might be
what's for sale here.  The one on the car that TRSC will (hopefully) be
raffling at TRfest next year certainly looked like it would fit the other
cars, but I didn't take any measurements (since the Stag already has an
uprated 11AC).

The "Ford Tractor" is almost certainly an overseas version, probably the
same goes for the Mercury Capri.  In fact, a general warning when reading
applications : just because a particular car is listed, doesn't mean the
part fits or is original for all versions of the particular car.  In fact,
for the Ford Fiesta that the Bosch is original for, most cars came with a
Motorcraft alternator that was completely different : connectors, mounts,
size and all.  The Bosch was only for cars with either factory A/C or
heavy-duty electrical system.

BTW, my local auto parts house wanted about $70 for the Bosch version,
including core charge.  It has a warranty ...

Randall