Re: TR6 stuck head-request for help

To: "List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 stuck head-request for help
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical-iwnet@wight365.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 22:31:21 -0000
Hi Carl
I would suggest exactly the opposite, heat the stud as hot as possible
without heating the head too much, the principle is that the expansion of
the stud crushes the crud that is seizing things up. The next thing to do is
quench the stud as fast as possible, causing rapid shrinking of the stud, as
the head is a large heat soak it will stay expanded after quenching the stud
and give more opportunity for removing the stud from the block or the head
from the stud. I have used this technique on frozen studs, screws and bolts
than I care to try to add up during my time as a toolmaker. I have also used
it on cylinder mower lower blades (the one that is dragged through all the
fresh grass sap!) on numerous occasions with 100% success rate!

Graham.