RE: TR6 stuck head-request for help

To: "TR List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 stuck head-request for help
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 09:37:29 -0800
> Because the knurled
> surface had the knurls parallel to the axis of the tool it wore out the
> gripping surface very quickly.

Interesting.  I'm still using the one I think I got from Sears almost 30
years ago, and it has almost no wear at all.  But I wouldn't describe the
gripping surface as 'knurled', instead it has milled and hardened teeth like
a pipe wrench.  It's only held together by a ball & detent (like found on a
ratchet & socket), so it's easy to disassemble it and turn the knurled cam
over to bring a second set of teeth into play.  But I've never found it
necessary.

Speaking of which, a pipe wrench actually makes a pretty good stud remover,
if you can find room to swing it.

However, the OP said he'd already tried the rope trick, which puts a lot of
force on the stud.  If that wasn't able to move the head on the stud at all,
I'm dubious that anything, no matter how well it grips, is going to turn the
stud instead of snapping it off.  Worth a try, not much to lose I guess.

Anyone feel like building an EDM ?
<G>

Randall