RE: wire wheels/tubes

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: wire wheels/tubes
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 16:49:37 -0800
> Sorry, everyone, but I can't remember collective wisdom:  Do wire wheels
> (Dayton 72 spoke) require tubes?

Depends on whether you bought the tubeless option or not.  Dayton makes them
both ways.

>  I've just received the
> 185/65/15 Kumhos I'd
> ordered.  ...If there's a difference, I did find a 48 spoke original wire
> wheel on E-bay to fit in the spare tire compartment.

Hopefully this is obvious ... the 185s will NOT go in the spare tire
compartment even mounted on a 48 spoke wheel.

In fact, 165 tires on stock rims are a very tight fit in the spare tire
compartment on pre-60K TR2/3.  After years of having to keep a rope tied
around the spare and still struggling to get it out or in, I switched to a
T125/90-15 "compact spare" tire mounted on an original rim.

And of course if you do need the spare, the road tire gets to ride to a
repair station behind the seats.

Randall