Surging rev-counter

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Surging rev-counter
From: "John Macartney" <standardtriumph@btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 21:26:30 +0100
I may have posted this query more than a year ago - and if anyone kindly
answered it, I can't remember what was said.
The 2.5PI has started being used again after a too long break and providing
a lot of fun in the process. What mystifies me, is that when cranking over
to start, the rev counter needle goes forwards off the scale until it hits a
hidden stop at about 8000! This has been a new phenomenon.
When the engine starts, the needle fluctuates all over the place and I
discovered a few nights ago that by switching on the lights for a spirited
cross-country dash that the whole problem seemed to sort itself out. Rev
readings were entirely normal and no needle surge.
However today, with lights on or off, the problem has returned. I've got a
spare rev counter and might just throw that in the panel and put it all down
to experience - but it's an intriguing problem.
Any thoughts anyone?

Jonmac