Geeks

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Geeks
From: "Edward Anderson" <eandy01@tcnmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 15:20:17 -0700 (PDT)
Never considered that some of the stalwarts of this list would be "old
geeks". While I never wrote code(execpt college 101 intro to computer on a
360) I did have an early exp mid 70's in sales of "computers". Was in N.
Texas with a lg. territory for Monroe Calc.Co. They seem to have fallen
into oblivion. At the time they were the big dog in the calculator mkt. *
whoops, for grins I just googled and they still exist but w/o the sub. of
this note. At the time they tried entering the coming computer boom with a
micro-processor/computer. Strange but true, it was fairly amazing in its
capabilities. 4k expandable to 16k. Could program on the keyboard of the
i/o an IBM Selectric, surprisingly fast printing bi-dir. Programing code
was "machine interpretive". The other i/o was a card reader. They had a
big library of programs, applying to just about anything anyone could use.
The cards were the size and shape of credit cds but film the same as
floppy disks. The big surprise to me as I worked my terr. was in finding
the units where I didn't expect like hosp. and university labs but w/o the
co. name on them. Found out other co.s were buying them as oem to bundle
w/ their equip. Didn't make any money, a recession was settling in and as
usual back them the south suffered first but it was a hack of an edu exp.
Ed
58 3a