RE: gas tank lining

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: gas tank lining
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 16:28:28 -0700
> Further web search revealed there are 2 types of liner.
> Apparently one is reactive to alcohol as in ethanol.

Not sure there are only 2 ... but Moss used to sell a white one that would also
dissolve in our "reformulated" gasoline.

> Also as I'm in Cal
> I'm wondering if our MTBE has an effect.

There is a whole laundry list of nasty chemicals put in CA fuel these days, not
just ethanol & MTBE.  I'm certain the whole cocktail does have an effect, it
will literally dissolve things that were in common use in fuel systems before
RFG became a reality (like NOS fuel pump diaphragms).

> I see that Moss has tank liner
> that has an etcher for the 1st step. Suggestions please,what should I do
> now?

Personally, I would either take the one you have to a professional, eg
http://www.ceffect.net/macs/renu.htm
or buy a used tank on eBay and use it uncoated.

> I might even
> open up this tank to salvage baffles

Unless the later cars were different, there aren't even any baffles to worry
about.  My (recently wrecked) 3A still had the tank I repaired in my front yard
almost 20 years ago.  In fact, it's probably for sale if anyone wants it !
Patina of rust inside, but nothing the sediment bowl couldn't handle in perhaps
150,000 miles of CA highways & byways.

Randall (No connection to Macs, financial or otherwise, except many years as a
satisfied customer.)