Am I being scammed?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Am I being scammed?
From: "Mark Hooper" <mhooper@digiscreen.ca>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 18:23:43 -0400
OK, I bid on a TR6 part on e-bay and lost. Now I've received a message from a
gentleman saying that the winner didn't pay so I have a "second chance" to buy
at my bid level. The sender has responded and is saying that they will
initiate the second chance thingy so that it follows purely official methods.
According to ebay that would be something appearing in my ebay that I would
then pay for using paypal or whatnot. Is there a way for me to be sure of
this? It's for a large item (transmission) so I'm not too thrilled at the idea
of paying for something and then getting a big fat goose egg in the post.

It's all wrapped up in stuff that looks fairly officially e-bay, but I'm
concerned. The thing that bugs me is that the e-bay site says they will never
send an e-mail with the subject "Question from ebay member". Guess what,
that's what mine started with. Foolishly, I've sent name and address, but no
financial data, so I'm hopefully still OK. (Other than the fact that somebody
knows where a TR is parked that is).

I'm on the verge of ignoring/reporting this, but not sure. If the sender
agrees to send phone number for me to call to discuss the part, is that likely
to be of any use, or are people so skilled at skinning poor schmucks like me
that I won't even know that I've been re-directed to a call centre where
thousands of fools are parted from their money every day?

If it's too good to be true... Now to wire up a 10,000VAC source to the garage
alarm. Sigh...

Mark

(should I feel more youthful, being this naive?)