RE: [stag] A/C hoses VTR IN 5 WEEKS!!!

To: "Triumph Stag Discussion Forum" <stag@digest.net>,
Subject: RE: [stag] A/C hoses VTR IN 5 WEEKS!!!
From: "Randall" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 19:43:06 -0700
>     HA!  HAHA!   HAHAHAHAHAHHHHH ....Off the shelf!!  In the USA???  You
> have got be rolling on the floor laughing!   :-D

Ok, ok, point taken.  Wouldn't have to be in the USA, since UK suppliers seem to
be able to get parts to me almost as fast as US ones ... but the shipping would
likely be more than the cost of having them made up locally.

> If you run into a bind, let me know as there is a local AC shop here in
> my area that makes custom hoses, Or I will send you my old ones

No problem, already located a local shop & I'll drop my old hoses off there
tomorrow on the way to work.

> BTW, what is your time frame for traveling to VTR and route?

Not certain, exactly, as a friend just offered a few days ago to caravan and
share motel expenses on the way there.  But I expect we'll leave the Los Angeles
area on the 16th or 17th, and hopefully take mostly secondary roads to Rockford.
I was probably going to follow Route 66, but the other members of the group
won't have A/C, so we'll probably compromise on a more northerly route.  Perhaps
we'll swing up and catch Route 50 instead.

BTW, I'm aware of the differences between R-12 and R-134a, although I wasn't
aware that DuPont dropped the Freon name for R-134a.  Since it's a trademark,
they can call anything Freon, but apparently it has "bad connotations" now and
so they switched to "Suva".  Thought I had a can that said "R134a Freon", but
apparently it has grown legs, along with all my R12 "tapper cans".

However, I don't plan to use either one.  Instead, I plan to try a homebrew
refrigerant somewhat similar to HC-12a.
http://hc12ausa.com/hc12/faqs.html
http://vettenet.org/acfaq.txt

Thanks to all who replied to my query, hope none of you hurt yourselves laughing
<G>

Randall