Re: Follow-up question

To: jimbpps@cox.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Follow-up question
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 17:24:13 EDT
In a message dated 6/20/2005 4:17:34 PM Central Standard Time,
jimbpps@cox.net writes:
> A few weeks ago there was a discussion regarding adjusting valves. Some one
> mentioned the "9 Rule". I won't go into that, for my question is regarding
> the Triumph 6 cylinder engine.
>
> Does 6 cylinder engine follow the "9 Rule" or is it just applicable to the 4
> cylinder engines??

Indeed they do.  At least the inline 6 from Triumph.  But it is the "Rule of
13" in this case.

Another way to look at it is think of the engine as two halves mirrored about
the center plane of the engine.  When the front valve is down adjust the
rear, when the 2nd from the front is down adjust eh second from the rear, etc.
You will eventually get to the middle and then start toward the back.  BTW, you
don't have to do it in any particular sequence.  You can adjust them as they
come up.  In other words, when you see one valve go down, adjust its mirror
twin.  Just keep track of the ones you did so you don't skip any.

Dave Massey
57 TR3
71 TR6
80 TR8