RE: Follow-up question

To: <Dave1massey@cs.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Follow-up question
From: "Jim Bauder" <jimbpps@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 16:11:45 -0700
Dave,

Thanks!!

I will try that out on the TR250!

Regards,

Jim
-----Original Message-----
From: Dave1massey@cs.com [mailto:Dave1massey@cs.com]
Sent: Monday, June 20, 2005 2:24 PM
To: jimbpps@cox.net; triumphs@autox.team.net

In a message dated 6/20/2005 4:17:34 PM Central Standard Time,
jimbpps@cox.net writes:

  A few weeks ago there was a discussion regarding adjusting valves. Some
one
  mentioned the "9 Rule". I won't go into that, for my question is regarding
  the Triumph 6 cylinder engine.

  Does 6 cylinder engine follow the "9 Rule" or is it just applicable to the
4
  cylinder engines??

Indeed they do.  At least the inline 6 from Triumph.  But it is the "Rule of
13" in this case.

Another way to look at it is think of the engine as two halves mirrored
about the center plane of the engine.  When the front valve is down adjust
the rear, when the 2nd from the front is down adjust eh second from the
rear, etc.  You will eventually get to the middle and then start toward the
back.  BTW, you don't have to do it in any particular sequence.  You can
adjust them as they come up.  In other words, when you see one valve go
down, adjust its mirror twin.  Just keep track of the ones you did so you
don't skip any.

Dave Massey
57 TR3
71 TR6