RE: TR3B Not Happy/Choice of Water Pumps?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3B Not Happy/Choice of Water Pumps?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 21:19:44 -0700
> The woodruff key is spun, and I
> assume the bearings are froze which caused the in flight failure.

I'd guess more likely the pulley/shaft connection came loose first, but that's
just a guess.  It's certainly ruined now with the pulley moving around like
that, so no matter what failed first.

> What is the latest on TR3 water pumps of choice?

I will second the 6-blade pump from BFE (which BTW is also available for the
6-cylinder Triumphs)
http://www.britishframeandengine.com/parts1.html

Note that they come without a pulley, and you'll definitely want to replace your
pulley too.

>  I would prefer a stock one with grease jerk, but I could live W/O that.  I
> could just grind off the threads and super glue one on to give it
> that correct
> look! HA!

The pump I got from BFE did not have the zerk, but it did have the area of the
casting where the zerk originally went.  Should be fairly easy to drill & tap
the casting for a genuine zerk.

However, the casting has also been machined a bit for more clearance under the
pulley, and I suspect it will show even with the pulley installed.  If that's a
problem, ask Ken if he'll sell you just the impellor so you can install it on
your own pump.  I know he used to do that (the impellors came from a different
source than the pumps) but don't know if that's still the case or not.  Also ask
if there are any special instructions for installing the pulley on the pump.  At
one time, the pumps he was supplying lacked the circlips to locate the shaft in
the bearings, so you had to be very careful to not apply any force to the
housing when pressing the pulley on.  I assume that problem has been solved by
now, but it's best to check.

> Anyone know of
> a rebuilder?  I think I even have a rebuild kit somewhere.

If the kit includes all the necessary parts, it should be easy to find someone
to do the rebuild.  But last I heard, some of the parts were NLS, so AFAIK no
one will rebuild your pump unless you supply the parts.

Randall