Re: TR3B Not Happy/Choice of Water Pumps?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3B Not Happy/Choice of Water Pumps?
From: AMfoto1@aol.com
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 18:51:01 EDT
Hi Darrell,
   The best water pump available for the 4-cylinder TRactor is an upgrade
from British Frame & Engine. It's not cheap, but has 6 curved impellors
(instead
of 4) to move the coolant efficiently and avoid cavitation. It's also nicely
machined to prevent *any* possibility of interference with the pulley. I think
this water pump is sold by Moss Europe or one of the other British vendors,
and Ken imports them for sale in the U.S.
   It does not have the zerk (not needed with modern bearings) but does have
a flat on the casting if you want to rig up a dummy for original appearance.
I'd suggest drilling and tapping it  instead of super glue ;-) Just don't drill
all the way through, maybe trim off the base of the zerk so that only a
couple threads are used. Install with some Locktite.
   The seals are modern type, don't require the "dry break-in" method that
the original pump seals did.
   A very good item and highly recommended. Call Ken or visit his website at
www.britishframeandengine.com if you are interested.
   The only problem I had installing this water pump on my TR4 was getting
the Woodruff key to fit into an also-new aluminum pulley (thin belt conversion
type). But, that was because the key slot in the pulley was too narrow, *not*
due to any sort of problem with the water pump.
   BTW, if you haven't already done so, you might want to replace the one
long bolt with a stud. That makes it possible to remove the water pump without
taking the pulley on and off. That's a mandatory modification if you ever use
the water pump with the pressed on pulley.

Cheers!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 CT17602L

What is the latest on TR3 water pumps of choice?  At one time the repro's had
small impellers which circulated less water and therefore caused hot running.
I would prefer a stock one with grease jerk, but I could live W/O that.  I
could just grind off the threads and super glue one on to give it that
correct
look! HA!  The 3B has a history of running hot so I need the best pump I can
find.  I know I have a couple of stock cores in the parts heap.  Anyone know
of
a rebuilder?  I think I even have a rebuild kit somewhere.
Thanks,
Darrell