RE: 2 ideas from the TRA National

To: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>, <shrack04@netzero.net>,
Subject: RE: 2 ideas from the TRA National
From: "John A. Wise" <JohnWise@alumni.pitt.edu>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 17:16:11 -0700
> > The second idea was given to me by Mark Canady from Topeka
> > Kansas.  He told me to replace the rear turn indicator bases and
> > bulbs with the dual filament type like in the front grille and
> > hook up the brake light wiring so all 4 bulbs light when the
> > brakes are on.  I think that idea (though not original) is a
> > GREAT safety idea.  As Mark explained, you can't have to much lit
> > up on the back of these cars for safety.  What do you think?
>
>I like the idea so much that I did that to my TR3A several years ago.
>However, if you use the brighter filament for the brakes, then your turn
>signals can't be seen when the brakes are on.  And if you use the brighter
>filament for the turn signals (as I did), then the brake lights aren't all
>that bright and still aren't terribly visible.

Talking off the top of my head w/o looking at the wiring diagram.

Would it be possible with the current to make the rear turn signals
work like most american car brake lights?  That is, they use the same
higher intensity bulb and illuminate it by the turn signal switch
and/or the brake switch?  If the brakes are "on" the turn signal
flasher can flashes appropriate brake light.

John

John A. Wise, Ph.D., CPE
Glendale, AZ

JohnWise@alumni.pitt.edu