Re: 2 ideas from the TRA National

To: JohnWise@alumni.pitt.edu, tr3driver@comcast.net, shrack04@netzero.net,
Subject: Re: 2 ideas from the TRA National
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 22:11:15 EDT
In a message dated 6/29/2005 7:21:08 PM Central Standard Time,
JohnWise@alumni.pitt.edu writes:
> Talking off the top of my head w/o looking at the wiring diagram.
>
> Would it be possible with the current to make the rear turn signals
> work like most american car brake lights?  That is, they use the same
> higher intensity bulb and illuminate it by the turn signal switch
> and/or the brake switch?  If the brakes are "on" the turn signal
> flasher can flashes appropriate brake light.

True.  All American cars that have such a turn signal/brake light combination
route the brake light current through the turn signal switch.  The switch is
configured to disconnect the brake light current to the filament in lieu of
the turn signal current (which is intermittent (flashes)).

Certain models of the Austin Healey also have this configuration but they use
a special relay box (with two relays) to do the switching.  If you wanted to
retain your Lucas Authenticity you could source one of those and go to town.
Or you could get a couple of relays and make your own (more reliable) version.

Dave Massey
57 TR3
71 TR6
80 TR8