RE: Torque settings for oil pan on TR-6?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Torque settings for oil pan on TR-6?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 08:47:48 -0700
> > They're 5/16" on a 6-pot TR motor.  My Vitesse/GT6 factory manual says 16-18
> > ftlb on the pan bolts.
> >
> Now I'm confused!  First it is 1/4 inch bolts.  Then someone quotes the
> manual saying they are 3/8.  Now you claim they are 5/16.  I know the
> factory was
> on occasion inconsistent on the parts they supplied but this is ridiculous.

Well, I'll admit I didn't take a TR6 apart to check, but I did check 2 different
versions of the TR6 factory SPC (Spare Parts Catalog), a Vitesse SPC, a 2000
sedan SPC, and the TRF TR6 catalog.  All 5 sources list the pan bolts as P/N
HU0805, which according to the Standard-Triumph Hardware Catalogue is a 5/16"
UNF Hex head setscrew (which in British parlance means it's threaded all the
way), 5/8" long.  My GT6 SPC lists HB0805, which is a bolt rather than a
setscrew, but still 5/16" UNF by 5/8" long.  Both Vitesse 1600 and GT6/Vitesse 2
liter workshop manuals also specify 5/16", tightened to 16-18 ftlb (sorry don't
have TR6 workshop manual yet).

And I think I would have remembered if the pan bolts took a 9/16" socket rather
than 1/2", as there are so few 3/8" fasteners on a Triumph.

Randall