RE: Vacuum Advance Rebuilding

To: "Terry Smith" <terryrs@adelphia.net>
Subject: RE: Vacuum Advance Rebuilding
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 16:40:05 -0700
> Any chance they just did a terrific job of cleaning and
> re-presenting your old cover?

I suppose it's marginally possible, but I don't think so.  The new one had
cad plating that was mostly missing from the old one, plus the old one had
some slight damage to the fitting (probably from banging around the parts
bin) that was not on the new one.

> What exactly (apologies, everyone, if this is old hash) is hte
> best way to
> test a vaccuum advance?

Best, IMO, is to get a "Mity Vac" or equivalent.  This is a hand pump that
lets you generate and apply vacuum.  The model I have includes a gauge to
show the vacuum, and a release valve that you can crack to slowly decrease
the vacuum.

Here's a link to a fancier one than I have
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=2068

>  If it's a rubber diaphragm inside, my 40
> year old
> one is bound to be rotted and fail eventually...maybe?

I don't know what it's made of ... might be very thin metal.

(I took the liberty of copying the list, since the reply may be of general
interest.)
Randall